Welcome to Georgia's Journey

Georgia Lily Lucas was born at home on October 6th, 2008 4:15am, in Winnipeg, Manitoba. She was diagnosed with SMA (Spinal Muscular Atrophy) on April 1, 2009.

On April 3rd Georgia was taken home, to be near her sisters and the rest of her family and friends. Nearly three weeks later, on April 21, 2009, she died peacefully -- in the loving arms of her mother and in the same room in which she was born.

Sunday, April 19, 2009

A new sense of normal

We seem to have developed a new sense of normal around here. Our days revolve around taking Georgia off the mask for a few hours at a time and then laying her down for a rest in between. How odd it is to be a mother administering morphine through an NJ tube without a second thought. (Truthfully, I shut down my thought process every time I do it) We play with her, read her stories and sing songs with her. Most of the time we don't see SMA even when I place that mask on her face. She smiles, laughs and vocalizes when she is happy and she whines and cries when she is upset. When I look at her, especially into those unforgettable eyes I see only perfection.

I feel like we are all standing on the edge of the cliff however, the sea water straight below and a storm brewing out in the distance. For the time being we are still living in the sunshine ignoring the dark clouds gathering afar. The winds could turn at any time and it would take but one giant wave to drag us all under.

Georgia was happy again today, especially this morning. Grumpa came for a visit and then this afternoon friends Roxanne and Michelle came. Thanks for painting our toenails Roxanne, the girls are just so thrilled about it. This evening Krista came with Abby so in the end it was a bit of a busy day but Georgia took it all in stride. Mike even managed to get her into a sleeper, the first clothes she's worn since first going into hospital -- over a month! She is once again sleeping peacefully up in her bed. Every night when I put her to bed I say a silent prayer that the night will be uneventful and she will wake up happy tomorrow morning.

Thank you to Rita and Laurie for your messages. I have spent a little bit of time on both of your blogs. I now know how everybody else feels when they try to find the words, pretty much speechless. I really like the poem about the pair of shoes Rita. Even though my child still lives and breathes I can relate. Your journal about Marshall is beautiful Laurie. I will spend more time getting to know you and your stories in the days and weeks ahead.

6 comments:

  1. Kristen... I only wish there was something else I could do for you, but just know that I am always here. It is probably too early for me to be of comfort for you, but I am good at crying and listening. My heart is already pretty battered, but I hurt for you and your family.

    Georgia is so beautiful. Her eyes...
    Enjoy her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What precious pictures you have shared with us again-they are wonderful to see and full of so much love. I know each day with Georgia is so precious and I am glad you are able to share them doing things you love with her, singing, reading stories and seeing the girls be silly and making Georgia laugh. We continue to think of you and send our love. Love Em

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear of Georgia's diagnosis. I, too, have a daughter w/ Type 1. Her name is Jenna and she is 4.5 yrs old. Please know your daughter is in my thoughts and prayers! Please feel free to email me if you ever need to talk! ~Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tammy ( http://tammyisblessed.blogspot.com/ ) let a bunch of us ladies know about your family and your Georgia on a forum of ours. There are a bunch of us praying for your baby girl and your entire family.

    Your family is beautiful.

    ((((hugs and prayers))))

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there I am a friend of Kevin and Melissa's, I just want to say how sorry I am to hear of your loss,and that my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Blessings, Andrea Vermeylen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so sorry to hear about your loss. Even though it was just those couple minutes keeping Georgia company while you got the girls ready to go I was absolutly heart broken when Calla came into class this morning and told me.

    My thoughts and prayers are with you.

    Love always Miss Lisa xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be reviewed before being published.