Welcome to Georgia's Journey

Georgia Lily Lucas was born at home on October 6th, 2008 4:15am, in Winnipeg, Manitoba. She was diagnosed with SMA (Spinal Muscular Atrophy) on April 1, 2009.

On April 3rd Georgia was taken home, to be near her sisters and the rest of her family and friends. Nearly three weeks later, on April 21, 2009, she died peacefully -- in the loving arms of her mother and in the same room in which she was born.

Saturday, April 18, 2009

Thanks

Thank you to all of you that sent in ideas. I love the hand tracing Renelle and have already traced Georgia and Maya's hands. Calla was playing outside. We will definitely plant a tree for Georgia, something with pink spring blossoms to remind me of my baby girl. I am also considering making up part of a garden in the yard full of lilies. We would of course put our stepping stones there. I love the angel wind chime too. I have always loved wind chimes. I have two of them in my yard now. I hope that they don't bother you too much Tim and Adrienne and Kevin and Julie. It's funny that when I think of memorializing my daughter many of the ideas have to do with being outside in nature.

If you had stopped by our place today you would have found a bit of a crazy place. The house was a complete disaster for starters and then my mom and Kevin and Melissa stopped by so that we could make two more stepping stones. One was for Grandma and Grumpa and the other one was for us. It has Georgia's footprints in it and we have written "Your love will shine forever". It also has glow in the dark stars in it, much to Calla and Maya's delight.

This afternoon my friend Laura came by to present me with a gift from herself, Krista and Natalie. It is a pendant with the engraved names of my three little girls. Thank you so much. I love it and will cherish it always.

Georgia was downstairs with us for a few hours this morning and then a few more this afternoon. Right now she is sleeping up in her bed. She seemed to have a good day. Mike got to hold her for quite a while as we prepared the stones and I held her for a long time before bed tonight(the girls are at a birthday party with Mike). I just sang Land of the Silver Birch over and over to her. It was just like old times. That's how we used to both fall asleep in the recliner. Sometimes I would hold her long after she had fallen asleep because I just loved that quiet time with her. I got a little piece of it again tonight despite the fact that she refused to fall asleep until I put her in bed with the mask on. Oh well, I'll take what I can get at this point.

If there are still people wondering about sharing our blog I am encouraging you to do it. We know that in some way we are taking a bit of a risk sharing our story with strangers but we have thrown ourselves into Cyberspace and are hoping for kindness and compassion. So far, we have been far from disappointed. The messages that we receive lift us up everyday and knowing that so many of you are thinking and praying for us gives us hope and strength.

13 comments:

  1. I want to say that I had only a brief encounter with the Lucas family.It has touched me forever and more than I can ever explain. I am addicted to the blog as I am always thinking of Georgia. Kristen you are brave but I see it in that you have been left with no other choice but to do what you are doing. And that is spending every second of every day with Georgia and the girls.You are touched by God and you will make it through. Your story is or will help many other families faced with this sadness.Blessings to you and all your family. Lisa B.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy to have read this post about sharing your blog. I have often wondered if I could post it on my blog. I will and I hope you receive more prayers and encouragement yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have added a prayer request and link to your blog on my blog.

    I'm glad you had a good day today and that you could make more stepping stones. And for some special alone time with Georgia - so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kristen,
    I don't recall if we had told you or Mike at Georgia's party that the original idea / title for Georgia's Journey blog was inspired by another little angel, Prince Harry (Venema). Harry died last summer from a rare form of liver cancer and his 2nd birthday was earlier this month.

    You and others can read about Prince Harry at http://hendriksjourney.blogspot.com/ ... and the "memorial" which his parents are creating in Harry's name.

    I've shared your story with them (via email) in the hopes that they will pass on your story to others.

    In prayer,
    Glen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Mike/Kristen,
    I saw Mike Bartek and Justin this week and needless to say all our thoughts and prayers are with you. All of us said we were amazed at how you are handling all of this...it really is amazing
    Grant

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear: Kristin & Mike,
    You have been in my thoughts & prayers.
    You are one of those families who have touched my heart. Your love,passion & caring attitude towards Georgia is truly amazing. Georgia, Maya & Calla are very lucky to have the two of you for parents. I have learnt not to take life for granted. Cherish each day; live for today & not for tomorrow.
    GOD BLESS YOU ALL.

    Alanna Brouillette (PICU Nurse)

    ReplyDelete
  7. HI Mike & Kristen,
    Although we've never met, I have spoken to you on the phone when I booked the appt. for you to meet with Jeff C. - i'm his assistant you see.
    When he first told me about Georgia, we both cried for your family. Since then i've been reading the blog every day, I just need to know how she is doing every day. I have two little girls myself ( 6 & 1 ) and I know how precious they are. And as a mother my heart bleeds for your pain. I am inspired by the two of you, your strength and courage are just amazing. Nobody can know how they would handle a situation like this until they are faced with it, and you have handled it with such grace. We pray for you everyday and wish you continued strength and courage.

    Nel Furtney

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lucas Family,
    I heard about your story a little over a week ago and have been reading your blog on daily basis ever since. I must say that I do find it difficult as I have a 4 year old and a 4 month old (both girls) and can only/hardly imagine what you are going through. I am usually able to keep my composure as I've been through a lot in my lifetime but can't seem to do so when reading your story. I cry and pray for you every day. Your strength is incredible and your children are all very lucky to have you as parents. I have hope and faith that miracles do happen and your family is much more than deserving of one.

    I know you've been memorializing and am not sure if you've heard about "Our Baby Impressions" or not? If not, it's a lady that will come to your home and take hand and foot impressions and cast them in bronze and put them on plaques. The # is 224-5220.

    I wish you all the very best,

    Island Lakes

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your family will be in my thoughts for now and years to come. We lost our 5 month old son to SMA back in January and I am greatly saddened to see another family get that horrible diagnosis. Please don't hesitate to contact us if either of you need someone to talk to... ((HUGS))
    ~Rita

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just found your site from my good friend Rita (see post above). I also lost my son Marshall to Type I SMA, 6 years ago. I'm so sorry you have had to go through this with your precious little girl.

    Let me know if there is anything I can do to help. I will keep your whole family in my thoughts.

    ~Laurie
    www.marshallsmiles.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kristen and Mike,
    have you thought about getting lockets for the girls? ... I rec'd one when my poppa was sick and it is with me still over 17 years later I hold it.. pray with it...it seems to always be there when I have tough times.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Our Father Who art in Heaven,
    Hallowed by Thy name
    Thy Kingdom Come
    Thy Will be done
    On earth as it is in Heaven.
    Give us this day,
    Our daily bread
    And forgive us our trespasses
    As we forgive those
    Who trespass against us
    Lead us not into temptation,
    But deliver us from evil.
    AMEN

    God bless all of you as Georgia leaves this world to officially become one of God's Heavenly Angels! May her soul rest in peace. AMEN

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just wanted to say I am so sorry for your loss. Georgia was a very beautiful little girl.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be reviewed before being published.