Welcome to Georgia's Journey

Georgia Lily Lucas was born at home on October 6th, 2008 4:15am, in Winnipeg, Manitoba. She was diagnosed with SMA (Spinal Muscular Atrophy) on April 1, 2009.

On April 3rd Georgia was taken home, to be near her sisters and the rest of her family and friends. Nearly three weeks later, on April 21, 2009, she died peacefully -- in the loving arms of her mother and in the same room in which she was born.

Monday, April 13, 2009

10:00 AM April 13th

Georgia had a good night last night. She slept peacefully and we had no scary episodes. This morning she was awake for a little while but a little bit cranky. The mask kept riding up on her face and blowing air in her eyes. She also had a very full diaper so I am hoping that these are the reasons for her unhappiness. We have yet to try taking the mask off again except for a few minutes to wash her face. We'll just have to wait and see. Once again, Georgia is sleeping peacefully and Mike and I are able to take a few deep breaths while she rests.
Granpa Bob left yesterday and Grandma and Auntie Trish took the girls out for a playdate this morning. I have come to a point where I treasure these quiet moments. The possibilities during these times seem endless.

10 comments:

  1. I kept refreshing my screen all morning to see how Georgia is faring and breathed a sigh of relief when I read your message. Words are hard but we think of you all so much. Take care. Hugs, Kate and John

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristen and Mike, There are so many of us waiting to hear how your sweet angel is doing, I hope you can feel the love!! I am glad to see she had a good night last night and I hope you were able to get some rest as well-I know sleep is probably few and far between at this point. Wishing you a day full of love, smiles and laughter. Love Em

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm passing on the word about SMA to all family and friends. Everyone who hears of your plight is saddened and passes on their kind thoughts and prayers. Georgia will never be forgotten. I'm so happy to hear she's doing better today. Kristen - please call me if you want to chat or even get out for an hour.

    Kelly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. *Kristen & Mike, we are thinking of you always. And, we are happy to hear that you have had another morning full of love with Georgia. We continue to wish you strength to get you through these days and nights, and most of all, we wish you time, lots more moments of precious sweet time with all three of your lovely girls.
    *Tanya & Kerry

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kristen, Mike, Calla, Maya & Georgia, We are thinking of you always and sending you all our love.
    Amanda, Sam, Ben & Daisy xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kristen and Mike, I am thinking of you always, especially the past few days. I am glad you had a good morning with Georgia and hope that you were able to rest. I hope that Trisha is providing a good distraction for the girls. I am sending all my love your way and wishing you strength to get through this time.
    All my love
    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Auntie Carol and GordonApril 13, 2009 at 2:22 PM

    Dear Mike, Kristen, and girls!
    Just a brief note to let you know how very much we love you all. God grant you continued strength and courage to accompany you on this life journey with Georgia. You are wonderful parents to such a beautiful angel! God bless you! Our thoughts and prayers continue to be with you daily!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the update. So glad to hear Georgia is better this morning... We pray for continued good days for her and all of you... God Bless

    Love Uncle John and Auntie Mary lynn

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kristen and Mike,
    I spoke to Grandpa Bob last night and was touched by his stories of Georgia. I can picture her holding on to his finger and smiling up at him with her beautiful blue eyes. You and the girls are in my thoughts and I wish you peace in your hearts as you continue this journey.

    Love Aunt Cindy and Mike

    ReplyDelete
  10. Auntie Nancy, Uncle Ed, Nicki and JoshApril 13, 2009 at 5:47 PM

    Kristen and Mike
    Thanks so much for the update. I kept checking our computer for an update before I had to go out today. Nice to be able to take a deep breath knowing Georgia had a better night. As always you are all in our thoughts and prayers.
    Love, Auntie Nancy, Uncle Ed, Nicki and Josh

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be reviewed before being published.