Welcome to Georgia's Journey

Georgia Lily Lucas was born at home on October 6th, 2008 4:15am, in Winnipeg, Manitoba. She was diagnosed with SMA (Spinal Muscular Atrophy) on April 1, 2009.

On April 3rd Georgia was taken home, to be near her sisters and the rest of her family and friends. Nearly three weeks later, on April 21, 2009, she died peacefully -- in the loving arms of her mother and in the same room in which she was born.

Thursday, April 23, 2009

Twinkling Stars

Tonight as I was coming home from my parent's house I saw the twinkling stars at the Blue's home for the first time. Forgive me Blues, I hadn't really left my house in over two weeks. I felt compelled to drive right up and park. Mike and I sat there for several minutes, tears streaming down our face marvelling at how perfect your light display is. Thank you!!

Most of the arrangements have now been made. There are still lots of little details but the big ones have been taken care of. We continue to be grateful to all of your heartfelt messages and acts of love and support. Thank you to all of the Shine Dental group for the generous package that arrived this morning. Thank you to my 'across the street neighbors' for the memory box and the gift certificate to Sage Gardens. Picking out the flowers to go in Georgia's garden will be a family affair. Thank you for the angels Kristina. Calla and Maya have been wearing them with pride.

So many of you keep wanting to do something so once again I have a few ideas. If you aren't comfortable with the whole donation idea then how about planting a tree or some lilies in your yard? How about taking 5 minutes everyday and trying to make your loved ones laugh? You can call them Georgia moments as one mother now calls them. Or follow another family's lead, they are having a garage sale this weekend with all proceeds going to the Children's Hospital. I asked one of my friend's today to post the link to sign the petition to cure SMA on Facebook. This is the best gift that she could give me because she know LOTS of people.

You see you don't actually have to do something for us directly. We just don't want you to forget our Georgie. Get out there and do something good. Whatever you choose to do it will be perfect as long as it comes from your heart.

8 comments:

  1. Just added the petition to my Facebook as well. May not hit as many people as your friend's but every little bit helps. "You tell two friends, and they tell two friends, and so on, and so on."
    Take care,
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rest assured, Georgia will never be forgotten. Never. Neither will you and Mike and Calla and Maya. I know that even down the road some, in the future, when we least expect it our thoughts will turn to Georgia. We will wonder if a cure for SMA has been found yet and perhaps Google it to find out and see if there is anything else we can do to make that happen, or we may have been tracking the research already for some time. We will probably shed even more tears for the sweet little angel who at 6 months of age left so suddenly and then a few more tears for the family we know went through something so incredibly painful that we find it unimaginable. We will wonder how Georgias family is coping and hope with all our hearts that they are ok. Georgia will come up in conversations for the rest of our lives, us telling her sweet sad story to others who will also then think of that little angel as they become educated about SMA. Georgias plight has left a strong imprint on so very many people, some your friends and relatives and co workers, and some strangers who knew you via someone else, and some strangers who have read and been affected by Georgias blog. In Georgias short sweet life she has touched and affected more people than most of us could ever hope to touch in our long lives. It would be impossible to forget Georgia. She will always be remembered. Kate and John

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is very apparent why Georgia has picked you and Mike as her parents. Just as she was a little fighter, fighting for a relatively "unheard of" cause in our circles until just a few weeks ago, she has now passed on that fighting spirit to her mother and father. She knew that her job was done, her mission accomplished, because she has a mommy and daddy who, with that same tenacious, unwavering, spirit will continue that SMA fight for her. Georgia is looking down on her mommy and daddy from heaven, smiling, and saying, "great work, mom and dad, I knew I could count on you" :)

    Sharlene Rollwagen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have followed Georgia's journey and thank you for sharing it. It has made me go and spread the word on SMA. I will do my best to continue to bring awareness of this tragic illnes. Definetly puts everything into perspective. What is really , truely important in life. If you need anything, talk , to cry or to bring Calla over for playdate with ALek. Please, anything, let me know.
    From Melanie and ALek Pejovic (mpejovic@msn.com)

    ReplyDelete
  5. With the Permission of both of you I can link this as a Cause on Facebook and send it to all I know whom will do the same, it should cause a chain reaction across the entire Facebook world. Would you like me to share Georgias jorney on this cause, (add her blog) so people that dont know our family can understand.

    Finally our Angels wings are full and bright, she is being cared for by Nanny Mary and alike. Love to you all. x

    Dean

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is also a Group on Facebook called "Spinal muscular atrophy' (exact way it is spelled/posted.....just put it in your 'SEARCH' bar on FB and it should take you right there) There were 90 people in the GROUP when I joined yesterday I sent out INVITATIONS to all my FB 'friends' and 15 have since joined. Georgia's blog was already posted there by Traci Mowat-Gowdar and I have posted the link to the Petition both there and on my own personal page, along with Georgia's blog. The more people who know about SMA and Georgia's Journey, the closer we will get to a cure...

    Twinkle Twinkle little 'Georgia' Star
    You are the only Star I see tonight
    Up in the sky so high
    Like a diamond in the sky
    lighting the way tor a cure for SMA.

    Love to you all, Auntie Mary Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can honestly say your family's story has changed my life and the lives of many people around me. Your little Angel sure made a HUGE impact in this world!
    Lots of love
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kristen & Family,
    My deepest sympathies go out to you & your family at this time. I just wanted to say that your story has truly touched my heart and you are amazing people to have handled this so well. Thank you for the inspiration!
    R.I.P. sweet little angel Georgia!
    Our thoughts & prayers are with you!
    Kristie Rougeau (Kucbel) & family

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be reviewed before being published.