Welcome to Georgia's Journey

Georgia Lily Lucas was born at home on October 6th, 2008 4:15am, in Winnipeg, Manitoba. She was diagnosed with SMA (Spinal Muscular Atrophy) on April 1, 2009.

On April 3rd Georgia was taken home, to be near her sisters and the rest of her family and friends. Nearly three weeks later, on April 21, 2009, she died peacefully -- in the loving arms of her mother and in the same room in which she was born.

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

avoiding sleep

I am obviously avoiding going to bed. I can't remember the last time that I slept through the night. The silence of my room tonight seems wrong. There is no Vpap machine and no sound of oxygen tanks. And so, I came down to the computer. I have been reading your comments over the last few hours. Thank you. What I really need all of you to know is that the one thing that will allow me to sleep tonight is what I just saw on the petition website... so many names that I recognize, some that I didn't but still mentioning Georgia. You see actions really do speak louder than words.

All of you ready to take up the fight in my daugher's name will allow me to rest tonight. While my Georgie baby has finished her earthly journey, her mother's has only just begun. Please continue to forward the petition and our blog. We have a meeting at the funeral home tomorrow and will post further details sometime later in the day.

Love you all,

Kristen

1 comment:

  1. And I/we will continue to help Kristen with her newly beginning journey for as long it will take.


    For those of you who have already donated, or for those who have contacted me and we are in the middle of making arrangements for this...thank you from the bottom of my heart. We have put together approximately $700 or more (I am awaiting a few more cheques in the mail). Thank you for being so amazingly generous. This will continue to be ongoing...it will hopefully be a beautiful tribute for an absolutely beautiful child.

    I have finally decided to allocate the majority of Georgia's monies to SMA. There is the Families of Spinal Muscular Atrophy Canada or FSMAC (curesma.ca) that I will be in contact with (or elsewhere if Kristen prefers). All of the toys will be going to the Children's Hospital.

    I have already opened a high interest bearing bank account for Georgia and that is where all monies are being deposited. Once the money is ready to be donated, I will be issuing a bank draft to the FSMAC (or again, somewhere else if Kristen prefers). Just so everyone knows the details.

    For those of you who may not know what I'm talking about because you may not have seen the original email (sorry I missed you, I have a lot more addresses now), or the copy of that email that I posted here on this blog a few weeks ago, I am attaching it here again, for everyone to see. The idea is much the same...the distribution now of the donations is what has changed, but I mentioned that above.

    Kristen, I love you and I love your family. If you need an extra set of hands to hold or some shoulders to lean or cry on, or some arms to hold you, I'm here.
    Kim xo

    And here it is the orginal message...albeit a little bit shortened this time:

    Hi everyone,

    I did get to meet some of you at Georgia's birthday party tonight, and I did
    get to mention an idea I had to some people as well, and everyone seemed
    really receptive. But I thought I would send this email to see if anyone
    else would like to be a part of this.

    I couple of weeks ago I had been talking to Kristen one night and she
    mentioned that with all the cribs in the PICU, there was only something like
    four mobiles to go around. If I remember correctly, they even had to share
    with the NICU, I can't remember if I have that information absolutely
    accurate, but the point is, they could really use some mobiles, musical crib
    attachments, etc., and some age appropriate infant toys in general. There's
    always something that will be needed.

    I would like to put together a gift for the Children's Hospital, specifically for the pediatric and
    neonatal units, that would include mobiles, musical devices, etc., but could
    also include a financial donation. If we end up with a large amount of
    money then it could also go towards the SMA Association. This will all be
    donated in Georgia's honor.

    So if anyone would like to participate, please email or call me. If you would like more information, or just have some questions in general, let me
    know, I won't make this email super long with every detail. This is just an
    idea for anyone thinking about our little Georgia.

    I look forward to speaking with some of you soon,
    Kim Morris
    email: kimmorris@highspeedcrow.ca or kimberly.morris@rbc.com
    phone: 878-3450 / 990-5670

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be reviewed before being published.