Welcome to Georgia's Journey

Georgia Lily Lucas was born at home on October 6th, 2008 4:15am, in Winnipeg, Manitoba. She was diagnosed with SMA (Spinal Muscular Atrophy) on April 1, 2009.

On April 3rd Georgia was taken home, to be near her sisters and the rest of her family and friends. Nearly three weeks later, on April 21, 2009, she died peacefully -- in the loving arms of her mother and in the same room in which she was born.

Friday, April 3, 2009

Past email (3/23/09) - Georgia

Hello all,

I hope that you don't mind but I plan on continuing my emails. My reasons are purely selfish. You see, writing has become my therapy and you have all become my therapists! : ) Also, as ridiculous as it may sound I feel like if I keep reminding you about our Georgia you'll keep thinking and praying for her.

Today has been a long day but not necessarily a bad one. We were forced to wait until 1:15 for the blood draw. They almost didn't do it because it was supposed to be gone by 1:30. Nothing like leaving it until the last minute! It will be mailed to Ottawa and we won't hear anything until Friday at the earliest, possibly 2 weeks. The blood draw went relatively well, only two pokes. Georgia's heart rate sky rocketed however and ever since then anytime anybody goes near her hear heart rate soars. I find this very nerve wracking and often want to kick everyone out of the room even when I know they are trying to help her.

The respiratory techs have lowered the amount of assistance that she is getting and so far so good. The neurologist also came back in today to let us know that the initial blood tests came back normal. While I find this comforting what made me even happier was the confused look on his face. It kind of said, "Maybe I'm wrong"

Mike has a degree is physics. I find this humurous because physics was my most hated subject and something that I never really understood. He has told me however that there is a universal law that states if a possibility exists and attention and energy are focused on that possibility it will become true. This is something that I can understand and believe. So once again I ask all of you to pray for Georgia, that she will become strong and healthy. For those of you who aren't so keen on prayer I ask you to send your energy or positive thoughts her way.

When I'm feeling sad and desperate I try to imagine the birthday party we will throw for her in October. You will all be invited of course! This is my way of remaining positive so maybe every once in a while you can imagine our little girl blowing out birthday candles.

Forgive my rambling, as I said you are now my therapists.

Love to you all,
Kristen

PS When you do find the words we love to hear your messages. They are
our lifelines.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be reviewed before being published.