Welcome to Georgia's Journey

Georgia Lily Lucas was born at home on October 6th, 2008 4:15am, in Winnipeg, Manitoba. She was diagnosed with SMA (Spinal Muscular Atrophy) on April 1, 2009.

On April 3rd Georgia was taken home, to be near her sisters and the rest of her family and friends. Nearly three weeks later, on April 21, 2009, she died peacefully -- in the loving arms of her mother and in the same room in which she was born.

Friday, December 31, 2010

Reflection

As 2010 draws to a close I have spent quite a bit of time reflecting over the last year. I remember my New Year's Resolution from last year. It was simply to try harder when it came to our food choices. In many ways, we as a family have succeeded. We actually haven't bought a loaf of bread in almost a year. We eat most of our meals at home and we buy local and organic as much as possible. The girls have gotten used to eating homemade soups and pretty much anything else I can make in a crock pot. Sure, we still have our mac n cheese but we buy the organic now and try to eat it sparingly. Muffins and granola bars are all homemade but we still have crackers and cereal. We are definitely eating better.

2010 has been a good year for our family. In February, we spent a couple weeks in Portugal where I found peace on the beach and the girls found hours of fun in the waves. In May, we welcomed Aria into the world and our lives have forever been changed - for the better. In October,we organized and put on our second annual Georgia's Journey of Hope. Final totals put us just over $15000 thanks to a lot of amazing support. For Thanksgiving, we made our first road trip with Aria to Calgary and had a blast visiting family and friends. December offered us the chance to do tribute to our amazing palliative care team here in Winnipeg just before celebrating Christmas.

Resolutions? Well, I have one - to try to live in the moment and trust that I am on the right path. I know it's really vague but I have some more concrete ideas on how to make it happen. The first and foremost is to laugh more. I am going to start recording Ellen and other funny shows. Modern Family is my favorite but it only comes on for a half hour once a week and that's not enough. I am also going to start taking pictures of Maya every time that she comes down in a bathing suit or sun dress telling me that she is ready to go outside - keep in mind that it's often -20 degrees here! Instead of getting frustrated about it I am just going to start documenting it. It will probably give many of you a laugh too! : )

The girls of course have no resolutions for the new year. They continue to love school and their after school activities which include, swimming, gymnastics, dance and piano. Calla is really enjoying her piano lessons and I admit that I love sitting down to play with her. Some of her books have a teacher's part and Calla loves me to play along. It has been a great bonding experience. Part of my living in the moment is to continue taking the time to play the piano with Calla.

Trusting that I am on the right path is more difficult. I do know however, since the birth and death of Georgia that I am at least moving in the right direction. Georgia's Journey of Hope will again take place, hopefully bigger and better than ever. I also have a few other ideas about raising awareness.

I have been struggling since last August with what to do with GJH. Several people have asked me to register it as a charity and I am still doing my own research and soul searching. While I am totally dedicated to ending SMA and honoring Georgia, I am also totally dedicated to raising my three daughters. I consider myself a dedicated mother, wife, daughter, sister, friend etc. The demands of starting my own charity may be just a little bit too much at the moment especially when there is a Canadian SMA charity that seems to be doing a wonderful job. If anyone has suggestions as to how I may structure a charity that would complement FSMAC instead of competing with it please contact me. I'd love to hear from you.

We are looking forward to a nice family dinner out tonight and then a movie and popcorn. Maybe Aria will surprise us and start the new year by sleeping through the night!! LOL

We wish you all a happy new year surrounded by the love of family and friends!

Love to you all,

Kristen

2 comments:

  1. What a great New Years Resoulution! I hope all is going well for yous!

    Love the Laarvelds

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to see some of your healthy recipes - bread, granola bars, etc.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be reviewed before being published.