Welcome to Georgia's Journey

Georgia Lily Lucas was born at home on October 6th, 2008 4:15am, in Winnipeg, Manitoba. She was diagnosed with SMA (Spinal Muscular Atrophy) on April 1, 2009.

On April 3rd Georgia was taken home, to be near her sisters and the rest of her family and friends. Nearly three weeks later, on April 21, 2009, she died peacefully -- in the loving arms of her mother and in the same room in which she was born.

Saturday, September 12, 2009

The Garage Sale

Well. after lots of help from family and friends we joined our community today and had a garage sale. Thank you to all of you yet again that donated items, helped me get organized, showed up ready to buy or just to smile. Thank you especially to my mom who stood at the Unite for the Cure table for 7 hours telling complete strangers why it is so important. Even I don't have the energy for that!

In the end we raised $895.00 for pediatric palliative care in the city and $405.00 for Unite for the Cure. That's $1300.00! Not bad for a day's work. Thanks for the cinnamon buns mom, the chocolates Abby and Natalie and the ribbons Tanya.

Once again we find ourselves overwhelmed by your generosity and kindness. We continue to find our spirits uplifted by all of your support. I'm too tired to write more tonight. I plan on relaxing in front of the television with Mike and a glass of wine. Tomorrow I'll post about Calla's big day.

Love to you all,

Kristen

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kristen,

    I feel the need to apologize to you … When I saw you today, I was having difficulty holding back my tears, and I’m sorry if I made you feel uncomfortable - that’s the last thing you need. I don’t know what it is, but your story, Georgia’s story, has touched me so much that I find it difficult to even speak when I see you. All I do is well up with tears and become tough-tied. I sometimes wonder if it affects me so much because I had a near-death experience when Elijah was born. I remember after Georgia died, you said that you didn’t want people to be afraid to talk to you or to mention Georgia’s name. I didn‘t want to be one of those people. I want to be able to talk to you normally. Obviously I‘m no good at that. I would love to just have a wonderful normal conversation with you but for some reason, I just become a blubbering idiot… I want you to know that I don’t think of you as “the one who lost the baby”. I think of you as an amazing, caring, wonderful woman and mother who is helping the rest of us to see the world in a different way.

    I promise next time I see you I will do my best to NOT be a blubbering idiot and if I can’t, just know that I am not avoiding you, I just don’t want to upset you or make you uncomfortable.

    I just realized my godchild’s baptism is also on Oct. 3rd, but I’m hoping it will be over early enough for us to attend the fundraiser. If it is ok with you, I would like to ask Elijah’s daycare if I can post the flyer. Are you ok with me posting it on Facebook? I have lots of friends with children who may want to attend. If you aren’t comfortable with that, I will totally understand.

    Sorry about not recognizing you when you drive by and wave… I will pay more attention now!!! Especially now that I know your vehicles!!!

    By the way, 2 more things:
    I agree that the Twilight movie sucked!!
    I think your mom is pretty cool!


    Lorna

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an awesome accomplishment for one day's work (well, I guess a few days' work, considering the amount of preparation and organization that goes into a garage sale)! Congratulations on the first of many successful events, I'm sure!

    Renelle

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be reviewed before being published.