Welcome to Georgia's Journey

Georgia Lily Lucas was born at home on October 6th, 2008 4:15am, in Winnipeg, Manitoba. She was diagnosed with SMA (Spinal Muscular Atrophy) on April 1, 2009.

On April 3rd Georgia was taken home, to be near her sisters and the rest of her family and friends. Nearly three weeks later, on April 21, 2009, she died peacefully -- in the loving arms of her mother and in the same room in which she was born.

Thursday, July 23, 2009

Step One

Today I put down a deposit and secured a venue and date for the fundraiser we are planning for Georgia's birthday. It will be the afternoon of October 3rd so write it down in your calendars. It will be at the Notre Dame Rec Centre in Saint Boniface so that should be relatively central for everybody. We are planning to have a bouncer and face painting for the kids as well as food and drinks and raffle prizes. I will be recruiting an army of volunteers at the beginning of September so if you are interested in helping please stay tuned. If anyone can help out with prizes that would be very much appreciated! All proceeds from Georgia's fundraiser will go to FSMAC.

I am also joining the Island Lakes garage sale this year. For those of you that don't know what this is, it is a community wide garage sale that attracts hundreds of people. All proceeds from our driveway will be donated to the Children's Hospital. If you have anything that you would like to throw in for a great cause please contact me. The garage sale normally takes place the Saturday after the long weekend.

For those of you who are still wondering about Vegas here is the abbreviated version. We arrived late on Sunday night but managed to walk down the strip and take in some of the sights including the last fountain show at the Bellagio. The next day we got up late, had breakfast, went to the museum, went to the outlet mall, went to see the Allstars show at the Stratosphere, had dinner and then went down to Freemont street (Old Vegas). The next day becomes a blur but I do know that we walked through Ceasar's, hung out by our pool and went to see Mystere. The next day, also a blur but more walking, time at the pool and "O". The last day after we checked out and had no pool we went to the Titanic Exhibit and got to see real artifacts from the ship, including "the big piece" which is a huge piece of the ship. We spent our last evening watching the sun set from the top of the Stratosphere 108 stories up, the tallest building west of the Mississippi. Mike put $1.00 into a machine and I didn't even do that. Call us boring, we don't care. Gambling just isn't our thing.

This is the last that you will hear me talk about Vegas. It is a surreal and fun place. Mike and I enjoyed just having time together in a world that seems very far from reality. As much as we needed time away our reality is still a much better place than Vegas could ever be.

Love to you all,


1 comment: