Welcome to Georgia's Journey

Georgia Lily Lucas was born at home on October 6th, 2008 4:15am, in Winnipeg, Manitoba. She was diagnosed with SMA (Spinal Muscular Atrophy) on April 1, 2009.

On April 3rd Georgia was taken home, to be near her sisters and the rest of her family and friends. Nearly three weeks later, on April 21, 2009, she died peacefully -- in the loving arms of her mother and in the same room in which she was born.

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

I'm no Elmer Fudd but...

I had wanted to write about the beautiful quilt that arrived yesterday but Mike is out for the evening and I don't know how to post the pictures so I will do that tomorrow with his help. Just know that this morning as I lay on my couch still fighting a nasty cold, I wrapped myself up in it and it felt soooo good!

As I mentioned previously, we now have a troublesome little bunny in our yard. I walked out into the garden this afternoon to find that he had chewed off the top of one of my stargazers. The tulips and shrubs are one thing, but by chewing up my lilies this little trouble maker is asking for a fight. Don't worry all of you animal lovers I'm no Elmer Fudd so I went out and bought some blood meal as someone had mentioned. I have always avoided chemicals and such in my yard so many of the repellents scare me a little. They did have coyote urine however...apparently this is the natural choice. Ummmmm...still not there and if this little critter makes me pay a bunch of money for pee I just may be calling Elmer Fudd. The next option is finding a humane trap for it and releasing it a couple miles away.

I've been thinking alot about what Georgie may be saying about this whole situation. I picture her wagging her little finger at the bunny for upsetting mommy and then smiling and dancing around because he is "so cute!" Calla has decided that we just need to put a scarecrow in the yard. : ) As much as I consider this little guy a pest he is keeping me on my toes and I am considering giving him a name. Any suggestions?

AS for the birds, they continue to visit. Thank you to all of you that offered suggestions for the type of bird that I saw but none of them are correct, at least so far. I have made peace with the fact that I may never know what I saw. Perhaps they don't truly exist. I'll describe them one last time however, they had powder blue heads, and I mean their entire heads, front and back down to their necks. Their chests were a creamy white and their backs and wings were beige. I haven't seen them again and I don't really expect to. I consider them a gift like so many other little things in my life. They showed up when I most needed them to and I haven't needed them since. Instead, I have robins, sparrows and bright yellow finches visiting everyday. The robin sings a beautiful song every morning and then a different one in the evening. I consider him a gift too.

12 comments:

  1. Be persistent with the blood meal. The bunny will soon learn that he does not want to eat your flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Names for the bunny? Well, following your Elmer Fudd theme, the obvious choice is "Bugs"!

    =:)

    Following you day-by-day,
    The Douglas'

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kristen! Hope that you are feeling better and that we can get together real soon and finally meet in person. Call anytime if you would like to talk.

    Candace

    ReplyDelete
  4. Try these links and see if any are the bird you're seeing ...

    http://www.attractwildbirds.com/identifybirds/blue-bird.htm

    http://www.attractwildbirds.com/identifybirds/barn-swallow.htm

    Kelly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to smile, :) at your wee 'bunny fight'... It reminds me of when we lived in Winnipeg and Uncle John had a fight with a 'rascally rabbit'... We did refer to him as Elmer Fudd and the rabbit as BUGS... BUGS won, but eventually moved into a neighbours yard!

    We have them running rampant in our yard too this year, and they did cause a lot of damage over the winter. We purchased a 'live trap' to 'catch and release' them in the country... The only thing to remember when releasing them, is not to close to other homes, who really don't want or need them either.

    I hope you are feeling better soon...
    Love Auntie Mary Lynn and Uncle John

    PS
    Still smiling here! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kristen,
    I have seen the quilt Auntie made on facebook - it is amazing, can't wait to see it in real.

    As for the rabbitt - we name all rabbitts Stanley. Every time we see one we say there's Stanley....it's like he is following us. Good Luck with getting rid of him or if he decides to stick around, hope you find a great name. LOL

    Get better.
    xoxo
    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kristen,
    Yes, we are still following your blog and love hearing about the antics of your girls!
    Has anyone suggested a Blue Headed Vireo yet?
    Hope you're feeling better soon.....
    Uncle John & Aunty Leanne

    ReplyDelete
  8. I did some googling and the only thing I could come up with was the blue-headed vireo

    See this page for pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think Bugs would be great!

    Or Jack (get it?) :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I get it....and second a vote for Jack!!
    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Kristen, try placing a 1/2 orange on a nail outside and watch the beautiful bright orange birds come around (orioles?) they are gorgeous and sing amazingly! Hope you feel better soon...maybe the sun will help!!!! Sherri xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Kristen

    Paprika sprinkled in the garden will keep the bunny away as well. They are much like cats walk in it them groom themselfs and not like the taste of it.

    Hope this helps

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be reviewed before being published.