Welcome to Georgia's Journey

Georgia Lily Lucas was born at home on October 6th, 2008 4:15am, in Winnipeg, Manitoba. She was diagnosed with SMA (Spinal Muscular Atrophy) on April 1, 2009.

On April 3rd Georgia was taken home, to be near her sisters and the rest of her family and friends. Nearly three weeks later, on April 21, 2009, she died peacefully -- in the loving arms of her mother and in the same room in which she was born.

Monday, October 3, 2011


Well, it's 2:30 am, and my head is pounding but of course I am not sleeping. Instead, I am doing what I do best in this kind of situtation, writing. Firstly, let me start by saying thank you to the many friends and family that volunteer so much of their time every year to make Georgia's Journey of Hope a reality. Thank you also to all of our friends that donated such amazing prizes. This year was no exception. So many of you stepped up to the plate again and I can't express what this means to us as a family.

The fundraiser allows us to celebrate our daughter's life but it also raises much needed awareness and funding for a cruel and devastating disease. For Calla and Maya, Georgia's Journey of Hope allows them to publicly acknowledge a sister that they continue to love with many friends that knew Georgia and other friends that have never met her. It also allows them to see that they continue to be loved and supported and that love really can transcend tragedy.

This afternoon started out with a pretty packed house but by 3:00 it had almost emptied. Keep in mind that we still hald 1.5 hours to go. Unlike the last two years there was no 'second wave'. We had hoped that by having Jets tickets more people would be drawn in. Indeed, there were many people who sent money or just popped in to purchase raffle tickets. The Jets tickets are definitely a hot commodity! Despite the approximate $8000 in prizes we did not draw in the crowds.

The truth is that many, many families chose to do something else this year. In some ways I understand. I have heard all of the reasons... I also know that this was probably the last Sunday of mid twenty temperatures until spring. When you put your heart and soul into something however, it's hard not to take personally and I have no qualms about telling you all that I do. I do take it personally.

Two and half years later, and Georgia's Journey of Hope is no longer a priority for many. People figure that we are happy and moved on. If you have looked at our beautiful family pictures on facebook I can understand how you would think that. We are happy. But, please, please please make no mistake. We have not 'moved on.' We live each and every day without one of our children.

I would love to scream at and shake some of you to make you understand how that feels but that would be futile and truthfully I hope that you will never truly understand. I wouldn't wish this kind of understanding on my worst enemy.

Love to you all,



  1. Kristen, it's Laurie. It's not letting me post under my normal name. Anyway, I had a long comment posted and the blog ate it! I am going to try to remember what I said.

    I have felt this way many times. Try to remember that no one wants to hurt you. Their lives move on while ours are forever frozen in time. They will never understand. Lucky them! They don't know that their support can make you, and the lack of it can break you.

    You are so passionate about what you do . . . because Georgia was your baby. No one else could possibly understand what it was like to lose her. I know it hurts all over again to feel that you are walking this road alone; but you will never be alone with those who share your experiences and your pain (as well as your happiness and memories!)

    You must remember that with many, or alone, you are making a difference and Georgia would be very very proud! Hang in there, friend.

    Lots of love to your amazing family! ~Laurie

  2. You do not know me, nor do I know you. Through Jolen's Blog, I happened upon yours today. I feel for you. After 4 miscarriages I finally carried one baby full term, but he lived only 1 day. I was in a coma for 10 days so by the time I came around He was already buried, so I never held nor saw him.He would be 38 years old on October 21, and still that day is a heavy and sad one for us and yes, it hurts to know that most everybody has forgotten about our baby, and thinks we have moved on very well. It doesn't work that way.WE DONT FORGET.I wish you peace today--Thanks for reminding me to keep praying for the hurting parents even if it is years later.

    Helen Hiebert