Welcome to Georgia's Journey

Georgia Lily Lucas was born at home on October 6th, 2008 4:15am, in Winnipeg, Manitoba. She was diagnosed with SMA (Spinal Muscular Atrophy) on April 1, 2009.

On April 3rd Georgia was taken home, to be near her sisters and the rest of her family and friends. Nearly three weeks later, on April 21, 2009, she died peacefully -- in the loving arms of her mother and in the same room in which she was born.

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

2 year ago

Two years ago today I placed Georgia in her bucket seat for the last time and walked into Emergency. I left the girls with my mom and would not return home for 18 days (at least to stay). I would not be fully present in Calla and Maya's lives for weeks. The memories are hard to think about and yet they are ever present.

I had hoped to celebrate Calla's birthday today as she has been sick since Sunday but she still wasn't well enough. Instead, I spent the day inside with all three girls. It felt good in many ways. We had no place to go and really nothing to do except to be together.

After supper I took Maya to Old Navy because she really wanted a St. Patrick's Day shirt. : ) It was raining and she was absolutely delighted. She squealed with delight when she saw a patch of grass or we hit a giant puddle. When we got there she insisted on putting up her umbrella even though it was only sprinkling. We didn't find a shirt in the end, but we had lots of fun looking around.

It's funny how something as simple as a trip to the store with Maya can make me smile. She was in such a good mood that it was contagious. At some point I realized how lucky I am that Maya can still be such a bundle of energy and enthusiasm. Two years ago I left her and she would change in a way that left her hard to recognize. Today however, she was the Maya I once knew - Self confident and fun, easy going and full of laughter, ready for adventure and mischievous.

As the memories start to come hard and fast as I know they will, I am going to hold onto my evening with Maya. Moving forward isn't always easy but with Maya around she's practically pulling me along. : )

Love to you all,

Kristen

PS Calla is feeling much better tonight and we are hoping that she will be back to normal tomorrow.

3 comments:

  1. All of your girls are just incredible and I am so happy that they each bring joys in so many ways, different from one another but that all fit together to make things "right". They all teach us so much, as do you, and I am so blessed to have all 4 of them in my life....even though I didn't get the privilege of meeting little Georgie I feel like she has taught me so much, and still does. I know these coming weeks will be filled with so many memories and emotions but focus on the love you give all your girls, that they know when they need you, you are there, and they know that beyond a shadow of a doubt. Your love is so evident in all you do. Love and hugs, Em

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been thinking about you and your family a lot lately. Yes, the coming days and weeks are going to be hard to face. Everything about this time of year takes me back to two years ago. It's amazing that even though two years have passed, it feels like it all just happened yesterday. Please know that I'm here for you... I will give you a call soon and we can chat :)
    Thank you for the kind note you left in my blog. Also, please let Mike know that I got the bread recipe he sent by email. I haven't tried making it yet, but I can't wait to try it... once I'm feeling a little bit more energetic.
    Lots of love to you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes it is hard to overlook the shadows in our memories, but that only makes us more grateful for the moments we can find joy in our lives.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be reviewed before being published.