Welcome to Georgia's Journey

Georgia Lily Lucas was born at home on October 6th, 2008 4:15am, in Winnipeg, Manitoba. She was diagnosed with SMA (Spinal Muscular Atrophy) on April 1, 2009.

On April 3rd Georgia was taken home, to be near her sisters and the rest of her family and friends. Nearly three weeks later, on April 21, 2009, she died peacefully -- in the loving arms of her mother and in the same room in which she was born.

Saturday, March 13, 2010

The Deal

One year ago today Georgie and I were up early on our way to the hospital for the first set of blood tests. They had tried to get the blood that they needed the day before at the clinic but after a couple of attempts we all decided that it was best to just take her in. The doctor had actually sent me to the wrong place but because it was unusually quiet the nurses set us up in a room and the blood was drawn rather quickly. An x-ray revealed that despite the fact that Georgia was suffering from yet another chest cold her lungs were clear. They told us that the tests would take weeks and to try not to worry. After all, we came from huge families and there was no history of any serious illnesses or diseases.

Despite the reassurances the feelings or dread had started to settle in. That night I looked into Georgie's eyes and I asked her to get better. In the end I was actually begging her to try to be well through the weekend so that we could get through her oldest sister's birthday. I didn't want Calla to have traumatic memories of her special day. I told her that she would have my undivided attention by the end of the weekend. She looked at me and with her eyes told me not to worry. We had a deal.

Love to you all,

Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will be reviewed before being published.