Welcome to Georgia's Journey

Georgia Lily Lucas was born at home on October 6th, 2008 4:15am, in Winnipeg, Manitoba. She was diagnosed with SMA (Spinal Muscular Atrophy) on April 1, 2009.

On April 3rd Georgia was taken home, to be near her sisters and the rest of her family and friends. Nearly three weeks later, on April 21, 2009, she died peacefully -- in the loving arms of her mother and in the same room in which she was born.

Saturday, November 21, 2009

7 months

I often ask myself what I have done in the last seven months. When I am feeling generous I remind myself that I have done plenty, most importantly working through not just my own grief but that of my husband and children as well. When I am feeling down however I become quite discouraged especially when I look back on the last month and a half. Since Georgia's Journey of Hope life has just seemed a little less joyful. My motivation and energy have plummeted. I get through my days and I focus on finding things to be grateful for but sometimes even the smallest of tasks seem like mountains to me.

Lately, I have started to feel the energy returning. I am continually inspired by the amazing people in the SMA community as well as those around me who continue to share my burden when the weight seems to heavy to bear. Take my friend Laura and her family for example. Laura and her mom sell Total She Products They took their commission from one of the products for the month of October and donated it to FSMAC. Her dad's company Grain Insurance and Guarantee had an office raffle ($115) and the social committee managed to raise $500.00. By raising awareness Laura and her family raised $723.75. Wow!

My auntie Joan who lives in the very small Manitoba town of Strathclair has also been selling the cutest homemade knit hats in her store. All proceeds are continually being donated to FSMAC. My friends Emma and Bruce out in Calgary also recently held an open house asking their guests to bring donations. We're still waiting on the final tally for that one but I have no doubt that it will be great.

And so as we approach the holiday season I thank all of you that continue to lift our burden and remind me that together we can move mountains.

Love to you all,

Kristen

1 comment:

  1. You are still in the relatively early phase of grief, which tends to be particularly miserable in the fall and/or near holidays.

    You're doing exactly what is typical - feeling pretty good (mostly because you're distracted with taking care of everyone else), then crashing a bit, then feeling a tiny bit hopeful again.

    Very slowly, especially after you've experienced a year of 'firsts,' you'll realize the good days outnumber the not-so-good days, and that it takes longer to slide back to square one... and a little less time to bounce back from it.

    It sounds like you have some great friends who will no doubt help keep you pointed in a positive direction, working in Georgia's memory to help squash SMA :)

    Hugs from another SMA angel mom -

    Helen/'Lucy'

    ReplyDelete

Comments will be reviewed before being published.